Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Amsterdam

Let me start off by saying that exploring the world is the most amazing thing I've ever done. So far I've been to Greece, Italy and now Amsterdam (Holland) and it just makes me want to see more and more. I cant even believe that we were in the Netherlands for the weekend.. I kept looking around and thinking wow, I am in a different part of the world in a completely different culture, and I am walking on the streets that my relatives have walked on before.

We went to the Van Gogh museum and the huge I AMSTERDAM sign, which was our playground for about 2 hours. You'll see photos cause I have hundreds in front of that sign.. and I'm not even really sure why it's there. Anyway, we wanted to go to the Heinekin Museum but it was closed for rennovation which was a bummer. We also went to the Anne Frank house, and that was so unbelievable to see the actual place where Anne Frank and her family hid during the Holocaust. The walls are covered in quotes from her diary, and there are videos of Mr. Frank speaking about his memories from that time. It was just really moving to be there.

The city itself was beautiful with a huge network of canals and bridges, all lined with trees changing colors. My favorite part were the old crooked houses and bridges and canals. There was also the red light district which was cool to see, kind of sad that all these girls make their livings by standing in windows but its their lifestyle so I guess you can't judge that!

We had so much fun just exploring a city unfamiliar to us. I love all of the people I hang out with here, we're basically like a big family, its great.

The world is so much bigger than I've ever realized before, I can't wait to see so much more.

Daddy-o's coming tomorow - I'm excited to show him florence and where I live, what I do and where I go every day. And for some quality fam time... and great dinners. Yum.

next week is midterms already, I can't believe it. This semester is FLYING by... I never want to leave. (Although im starting to miss america, the fam and my friends from home & syracuse) aaand after midterms is fall break! woohoo We're going to Dublin (where I'll see my Irish friends who worked at Copley with me this summer!) and Barcelona and Madrid to see THETA girls! cant wait for that. More later.. here are some photos from amsterdam --

ciao!






No comments: