Sunday, November 23, 2008

1 month left

So we have less than a month left - it's crazy. I'm avoiding writing my third paper of the day by posting on here. Im watching the italian version of deal or no deal.. its kind of funny cause i can somewhat understand it. They get so emotional on this show its ridiculous! Its the same with who wants to be a millionaire. I just ate dinner w/Onelise (kb went to her house w/her family in chianti for the weekend) and Mario is at their house in the mountains MAKING olive oil. He's actually making it from their own olive trees, which is so cool. He's been there for almost 2 weeks now.. he's coming back home on Tuesday and we're gonna have a taste test.. onelise is going to make bruschetta. The guy on deal or no deal just won 500,000 euros! holy shit! hes crying now.. so is everyone else. haha anyways.. im pumped for the new olive oil. If you go into any authentic italian restaurants within the next month or two and the olive oil is especially green it means its probably new from italy. the greener, the newer. Thats also when it has the most flavor and sometimes it's a little spicy. I love how fresh everything is in Italy, they make their own wine, make their own olive oil and use it every day. This is the "olive harvest" season and half the country is out making olive oil. Its great.

So my mom came here to visit for a couple weeks.. it was amazing to be here with her, she fell in love with italy and took about 5000000000 photos. half of them were of the ponte vecchio. We went to cinque terra (5 towns on the coast so close that you can walk to each one). We hiked from one to another.. it took forever and was a legit hike .. we were sweating but the views were amazing. Mom went to Lucca and Sienna while I was in school, and then last weekend we went to Venice. Venice was amazing, it was so cool how it is a city built on water, just like I had expected. Michele's parents were here too and lena came along as the adopted child. Now lena, michele, katie and one of our other friends went to paris for the weekend and I was going to go with them but I decided to go to London next weekend to visit my friend Sarah from Syracuse instead. We're gonna have a thanksgiving dinner at her apartment.. so that'll be fun! I'm gonna miss thanksgiving at home, but its an experience being here.

This weekend I was pretty cultured out. One of my friends & I went to the Uffizi, we saw David at the Academia, did all the florence turisty things... and went out at night first to an italian bar and then to watch the celtics at an irish pub. Polar opposites, but both great places. Last night my friends and I went to a bar/restaurant for Apertivo. Basically you buy a drink, whatever you want, for 7.50 and you get as much food as you want. there was all sorts of pastas, vegetables, bread, some with meat, salads, etc. I know happy hour is kind of the same but they really should invent that in America. It's great for a student on a budget for dinner.

Ok.. gotta write my essay. I'll post photos another time. Ciao ciao

No comments: